This almond flour banana bread recipe has a classic fluffy texture and amazing flavors! Naturally sweetened with coconut sugar and ripe bananas. If you are looking for healthy, low-carb, Paleo, Gluten-Free, Refined Sugar-Free, and Dairy-Free banana bread, then you have to try this recipe!
Table of Contents
INGREDIENTS FOR THE ALMOND FLOUR BANANA BREAD RECIPE
You will only need a few simple ingredients to make this healthy almond flour banana bread. You will need:
- Oil – You can use grapeseed, avocado, or coconut oil. If you opt for coconut oil, melt the required amount in a bowl in the microwave on high for 30 seconds and let it cool while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Ripe bananas – To ensure maximum sweetness, make sure to purchase bananas with brown spots. Get yellow bananas a few days before making the recipe and let them ripen on your kitchen counter.
- Eggs – Eggs are the first to use, so make sure you bring them to room temperature before using them.
- Coconut Sugar – The only added sugar in this recipe is coconut sugar – no refined sugar here. I love cooking with coconut sugar because it doesn’t raise blood sugar as much as regular granulated sugar. In addition, it includes an additional dose of fiber, vitamins, and minerals.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – The acid in apple cider vinegar reacts with baking soda to create carbon dioxide, which expands and makes the dough rise.
- Vanilla Extract – Be sure to use pure vanilla extract.
DRY INGREDIENTS :
- Almond Flour – In this almond flour banana bread recipe, you can use any brand of almond flour. Either bleached or almond meal. You can also make my almond flour recipe at home using raw unsalted almonds.
- Ground flaxseed – This is the secondary “binder”. Just like when you make a flax egg, ground flaxseed naturally gels when mixed with wet ingredients. This creates a better overall structure for the banana bread.
- Cinnamon powder – Banana and cinnamon always are a perfect combination.
- Baking soda – As mentioned before, the alkaline properties of baking soda react with apple cider vinegar to produce carbon dioxide bubbles. Furthermore, it also creates a darker golden brown color.
- Baking Powder – Helps with extra rise.
- Sea salt – Salt enhances and balances the sweet flavors of this almond flour banana bread. Use fine sea salt as it dissolves better.
- Dark Chocolate Chips – Chocolate chips are optional, especially if you are being careful with sugar or following a Low Carb, Paleo, or Keto diet.
HOW TO MAKE ALMOND FLOUR BANANA BREAD
You’ll need two mixing bowls, a whisk, and a spatula to make this healthy almond banana bread. Simply follow the instructions below:
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F and grease the baking tin with 1 teaspoon of oil. Line the center with a piece of parchment paper and let it hang over the sides, as this makes it easy to remove.
- In a medium bowl, combine coconut oil, mashed banana, eggs, coconut sugar, apple cider vinegar, and vanilla extract. Set aside.
- In a larger bowl, combine the almond flour, ground flaxseed, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Mix the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients until smooth.
- Add chocolate chips, if using. Gently stir in the chocolate chips until well incorporated. Then transfer to the prepared baking tin and top with an additional 2 tablespoons of the chocolate chips or almond flakes.
- Bake for about 35 to 45 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the tin for 15 minutes, then gently transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
ALMOND FLOUR BANANA BREAD TIPS:
- Place a thin piece of parchment paper in the center of the pan. This makes it easy to remove the almond flour banana bread from the tin. Also, it won’t damage the delicate chocolate chips on top.
- Instead of relying on the number of bananas indicated in the recipe, use a digital kitchen scale or measuring cups to measure or weigh mashed bananas. Since bananas vary in size, correctly weighing or measuring mashed bananas will ensure accuracy and consistency every time.
- I recommend allowing the banana almond flour cake to cool completely, for at least 1-2 hours. Almond flour and banana provide plenty of fat and moisture, making the cake soft and sticky while still hot. The longer the cake rests, the more the ingredients will combine, resulting in a delicious cake.
- If you don’t have apple cider vinegar handy, substitute it with an equal amount of freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- Instead of using ½ cup of coconut sugar, try using ¼ cup of honey, agave, or maple syrup as an alternative sweetener.
HOW TO STORE ALMOND FLOUR BANANA BREAD
For best results, store this almond flour banana bread in an airtight container or wrapped in parchment paper and keep it on the kitchen counter for up to 3 days or in the refrigerator for up to a week. (I do not recommend wrapping the almond flour banana bread in plastic wrap, as this method traps moisture and makes the cake very soggy.)
For longer storage, slice and place the almond flour banana bread in a large plastic freezer storage bag with small squares of parchment paper between each slice and store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
To enjoy the almond flour banana bread, simply defrost it at room temperature or pop a slice in the toaster oven!
VARIATIONS OF ALMOND FLOUR BANANA BREAD
- Nuts: Add ½ cup of unsalted, lightly roasted nuts, such as walnuts or pecans.
- Dried Fruit: Add ¼ – ½ cup dried cranberry, raisins, or diced apricots.
- Coconut: Add ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut for all that coconut flavor!
- Spices: Add ¼ teaspoon each of ground allspice, nutmeg, and cloves.
SEE OTHER HEALTHY BREAD RECIPES
- Banana Bread with Oat Flour and Blueberries
- Healthy Banana Bread with Coconut Flour
- Pumpkin Bread Recipe (Gluten-Free)
Almond Flour Banana Bread
- Loaf pan (20X10cm/8×4' or 23x13cm/9×5')
- Large bowl
- Medium bowl
- Kitchen Scale or Measuring Cups and Spoons
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil, plus 1 tsp for greasing the baking sheet (coconut oil, avocado oil, grapeseed oil)
- 1 ¼ cup (300g/10oz) mashed ripe bananas, with brown spots, about 2-3 bananas
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- ½ cup (70g/2.5oz) coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cup (240g/8.5oz) almond flour
- ⅓ cup (30g/1 oz) ground flaxseed
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- ¼ cup semisweet chocolate chips, + 2 tbsp extra for sprinkling on top
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F. Grease a loaf pan with 1 teaspoon of oil and line it with a piece of parchment paper in the middle, with the excess hanging over the sides ( this makes it easier to remove the cake).
- In a medium bowl, whisk together oil, mashed banana, eggs, coconut sugar, apple cider vinegar, and vanilla extract.
- In a large bowl, combine the almond flour, flaxseed, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Mix dry ingredients with wet ones. Stir in the chocolate chips, if using.
- Transfer to the prepared tin, smooth surface, and sprinkle with chocolate chips, if using, pressing gently onto the surface. Bake for 35-45 minutes or until golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 15 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Slice and serve.