Do you love bananas, caramel sauce, and whipped cream? Then you have to try my healthy, gluten-free banoffee pie recipe. This banoffee pie dessert is made up of three recipes from my blog. It’s super easy and delicious. The filling is made with three basic ingredients… date caramel, bananas, and creamy vanilla whipped cream. The pie dough is a mixture of almond flour, butter, ghee, or coconut oil, and a touch of honey. Plus, it’s topped with lots of chocolate for an extra rich WOW!
I love bananas, but I also love Banoffee, so I had a mission to make this super healthy banoffee pie without sugary caramel sauce, heavy cream, and gluten-free. As challenging as it sounds, it’s super easy to make. I couldn’t wait to make this healthy version of banoffee pie and have such a delicious pie in my fridge. And here’s my healthy, gluten-free, sugar-free, and dairy-free banoffee pie recipe that tastes amazing! This is definitely a much healthier banoffee pie I have ever eaten, plus it’s super easy to prepare and delicious.
Table of Contents
INGREDIENTS FOR THE HEALTHY BANOFFEE PIE RECIPE
For this Banoffee pie recipe, I used my Gluten-Free Pie Crust Recipe made with almond flour, a little arrowroot starch, and a touch of spice (1 tsp each of cinnamon and clove powder).
However, you can also use the pie crust that I used in Fruit Tart With Pastry Cream recipe, or if you have a nut allergy, you can use the coconut flour-based crust that I used in Pineapple and Coconut Tart recipe.
Vegan Date Caramel Sauce:
See my recipe to make this Vegan Date Caramel Sauce.
Use around 3 ripe bananas. Avoid using green bananas. You need some sweetness in this banoffee pie as it’s sugar-free.
To make the dairy-free whipped cream, use one of my recipes, Coconut Whipped Cream or Cashew Nut Cream. Use the sweet version of cashew cream. However, you can buy store-bought whipped cream and choose which one you prefer.
Chocolate and Cocoa Powder:
To finish it off, I love topping this banoffee pie with cocoa powder and a generous amount of shaved dark chocolate.
HOW TO MAKE BANOFFEE PIE
First, start with the pie crust. It’s a simple gluten-free almond flour crust made with a little bit of butter or ghee or melted coconut oil, egg, and sweetened with honey. I love this crust. It tastes like a shortbread cookie.
While the pie crust bakes, make the date caramel sauce. To make the healthier version of this banoffee pie, I’ve used a date caramel sauce instead of traditional sugar-filled caramel sauce. Also, the date caramel is very easy to make. It’s simply a puree of dates, coconut or almond milk, and a touch of vanilla.
The key to this sweet treat’s success is making the dates incredibly soft before pureeing them in the blender. So, to do this, I soak the dates in boiling water, drain them, and then blend them to make a puree. The heat from the water moistens the dates, making them incredibly easy to blend.
This date caramel is as delicious as any other caramel sauce. It’s sweet, smooth, creamy, and rich, with a hint of vanilla. Date caramel makes this banoffee pie taste wonderful and very delicious – exactly as it should be!
Once the pie crust has finished baking, let it cool. Then spread the date caramel on the bottom of the pie crust, then top it with a layer of sliced bananas.
At this point, the banoffee pie needs to be chilled for an hour or so. The last step is one of the most important steps… the CHOCOLATE. I love topping this banoffee pie with cocoa powder and a generous amount of shaved dark chocolate. It’s the perfect finish to a sweet banoffee pie.
In every bite, you get a bit of crunch from the pie crust, sweetness from the date caramel and banana, and the creaminess from the whipped cream and just the right amount of chocolate…
HEALTHY FACTS FOR THIS RECIPE
- Bananas: Abundant source of energy, potassium, and vitamin B6.
- Almonds: Excellent plant-based sources of amino acids, the building blocks of protein, and essential fats.
- Dates: Deliciously sweet in all their natural glory. Excellent to avoid the refined sugars in this dish with the bonus of magnesium, fiber, manganese, and copper.
- Coconut: Contributes antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal properties, not to mention the balance of (natural) sugars and their effects on our energy levels.
- Cashews: Cashews are low in sugar and rich in fiber, heart-healthy fats, and plant protein. They’re also a good source of copper, magnesium, and manganese — nutrients important for energy production, brain health, immunity, and bone health.
- Chocolate: Dark chocolate is packed full of important minerals, including iron, magnesium, zinc, copper, and phosphorus. In your body, these minerals are used to support factors such as immunity (zinc), can help keep your bones and teeth healthy (phosphorus) and contribute to better sleep quality (magnesium).
VEGAN BANOFFEE PIE STORAGE
I find that banoffee pie is far superior when enjoyed right after making it, but if stored properly in the fridge, it should last 2-3 days.
If you are looking for a gluten-free and sugar-free dessert recipe, this is your recipe. It’s so delicious you won’t believe it’s super healthy!
Also, this recipe is very simple and relatively quick to make, even for a beginner.
MORE TART RECIPE:
Healthy Banoffee Pie
- Baking pan with removable bottom 23cm/9in
- Once the pie crust has finished baking, let it cool.
- Spread the date caramel on the bottom of the pie crust, then top it with a layer of sliced bananas.
- Add generous dollops of coconut whipped cream or cashew whipped cream to cover the banoffee pie. Alternatively, you can use store-bought coconut whipped cream.
- Place the banoffee pie in the fridge to cool for about an hour.
- Before serving top it with cocoa powder and shaved dark chocolate.